I remember singing short rhymes to my babies and now that they are 22 months old I sure take advantage of the videos found on youtube.
A popular source for literacy, nursery rhymes are used today to entice children as these rhymes use melodic patterns and rhythms that they can easily sing along with and remember.
Thank God for technology, today we can find our favorite nursery rhymes for children very easy. Youtube has several child-friendly channels and videos that you can use for your kids and they are also very educational.
So, why are nursery rhymes important?
It is a well-known fact that has been proven and tested. Nursery rhymes are a very useful tool that you can use to teach your kids the following:
- Develop phonic skills: With the rhythmic pattern of nursery rhymes that are often catchy, kids tend to listen more and are highly engaged which makes it easier for them to get familiar with phonics and help them develop language skills.
- Understand concepts: Before nursery rhymes were sung as tradition. When you search on Youtube, you find yourself looking at videos that have fun and creative images that kids love to watch. It is easier for your child to understand concepts when they see cute cartoons or images on the screen.
- Develop listening skills: Although the visuals are there when kids watch nursery rhymes, they will still have to listen to the rhymes. As this routine is consistently repeated, the next thing you see is the child singing the lyrics of the rhyme. I can tell you something my twin boy does not say mommy yet (I’m devastated by this) but he sure signs baby shark.
- Enhance physical development: Most of the nursery rhyme videos involve physical movement. Kids can sing along with the tune and at the same time, do the actions as shown in the videos. This can help improve their motor skills and enhance physical development at a very young age.
Youtube is home to a lot of fun, engaging and very energetic nursery rhymes that your children will surely love. From the all-time favorites to newly created rhymes, here are the top nursery rhymes that you can sing and play along with kids.
1. ABC Song with Balloons
With more than 34 million views, this nursery rhyme is widely popular especially if you want to teach your kids ABC. It has cute graphics and a very engaging rhythm that kids surely love.
2. 12345 Once I Caught A Fish Alive!
Teach your kids how to count as they watch this creative video where children are counting and counting the fishes they catch.
3. Stretching and Exercise Song
Get your kids physically active and involved with this stretching and exercise song. The tone is really catchy and will make them move around without them knowing it is exercise. Which you know it’s great since many spend way to much time indoors.
4. Yes Yes Vegetables Song
Help your kids be familiarized with different kinds of vegetables and motivate them to eat healthy with this very fun song.
5. Yes Yes Bedtime Song
I love this one and its a great way to teach the kiddos when its time to go to sleep. I know the pain many parents experience when putting their children to sleep, most of the time its difficult to get them into a routine. So I encourage you to try this song for a couple of weeks to get them on the sleeping mood. Play this Yes Yes Bedtime Song and soon you notice they are already in bed.
6. If You’re Happy and You Know It
A widely popular nursery rhyme. This gives a great boost for kids, especially in the morning. I think is a universal rhyme since everybody knows it.
7. Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed 2
Let your kids jump and be active. The Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed is sure a good form of exercise. And it’s just one of those songs that will be in your mind forever.
8. Finger Family Collection- 5 Little Fingers
Teaching children the different words for family members has never been easier. Kids can easily recall the words as they associate this song with these words.
9. Bob The Train
Have fun and stay active with Bob the Train. Open up your kid’s creativity and playfulness. This is a good one for little boys especially because it has the chu chu train.
10. Breakfast Song
Listen to the Breakfast Song as your kids eat in the morning or really when you are trying to do something before getting out of the house and they are just you know being kids (I wanted to say something else, but you get the idea).
11. London Bridge Is Falling Down Nursery Rhymes
Considered to be one of the most popular nursery rhymes of all time, this a must in all playlist for kids. The tone is easy to remember and very catchy.
12. Baby Shark | Kids Songs
With almost a billion views, Baby Shark is a must have in your playlist. It is a fun rhyme that will surely entice your kids. This is my favorite and I think everybody knows it by now especially because they can hear me around the nurse’s station signing it.
13. The Vowel Family | Super Phonics
This is a great song to play to help children remember vowels and associate words with images.
14. ChuChu TV Numbers Song – NEW Short Version
Teach your kids numbers with this creative ChuChu TV Numbers Song.
15. The Wheels on the Bus
This rhyme is another one of my kid’s favorite. Every time it comes on they get up and sing it (so they think).
Youtube has tons of other amazing nursery rhymes that you can surely play to your kiddos and add in your playlist. As always I recommend you watch the rhymes with them the first time since sometimes some of the ads are not appropriate for kids.
Do you have recommendations? Share it with me! I’d love to hear from you.