High School Electives play an essential role in any homeschool education. It can be a challenging but exciting task for kids to explore their passion through electives. High school electives are a way to start their careers.
Electives allow kids to choose the subjects of their choice. It is not so hard to find Free Homeschool or Really Cheap Electives for high school.
When we talk about electives, we think about choices, interests, and new life skills. In public schools, students adjust to what they had available in the schools. But in homeschool, kids have the freedom to select their electives. If you need help printing out your curriculum read this post Cheap Printing For Homeschoolers: The Best Options For Your Pocket
Free online High school Elective Courses from different companies:
- Woodworking Free Electives
- Harvard University’s Photography Course
- Photography Free Electives
- Financial Literacy
- Teen Mental Health Curriculum
- Complete Nutrition course from Drexel University
- Cake Decorating
You know Homeschool planet has plans, lessons, and curriculum. They have fun electives for high school from LIFEPAc, Fallacy, Detectives, Thinkwell, Classical Academic Press Logic Series, Study.com, and many more. Isn’t it interesting!
This ultimate list of free homeschool high school electives gives an idea of what is available for them.
Free and Cheap Homeschool Electives for High School
Many of these courses are free or cheap homeschool electives. You can browse any of these sites for free.
Do you want to know what electives for high school in Khan Academy are? You can learn for free about math, art, computer programming, economics, physics, chemistry, biology, medicine, finance, history, etc.
Khan Academy offers a range of subjects and grades. Below is the snapshot of a possible free elective course list on the website.
Udemy offers an online teaching and learning marketplace with over 130000 courses for everyone. These virtual courses range from data science to leadership. Its course prices are lower than $10 for new users.
An advantage of taking udemy courses for students is that they can learn at their place in flexible hours.
UdemyFreeCourses.org has a catalog of course categories ranging from web development to language or personal fulfillment. Here, you can find updated online courses that Udemy offers free of cost.
Generally, Coursera courses are free of cost. As they are partners with top universities like Yale, Michigan, Stanford, and leading companies like Google and IBM to provide certification and advancement; you will need to pay when you want to access graded assignments or a Course Certificate.
Because Coursera is a single-page app and you can get information only when you login.
The DIY.org is a creative challenges app of craft, activities, practices, and skill-building ideas. Kids can discover new creative challenges and participate with other students.
Below is a screenshot of the types of patches kids earn by completing specific challenges:
The Great Courses and The Great Courses Plus both are the same services. But these are two separate systems. The Great course is a site where you can purchase educational audio and video content to steam.
It is a subscription-based account that allows you to stream access to the same catalog and videos.
The Great Courses offers video and audio on everything from cooking and science to history philosophy. However, the list price of these courses is free/cheap.
Another option is The Great Courses Plus to access unlimited streaming at the cost of $19.99 per month. If you’re an Amazon Prime Member, you can access it for just $7.99 per month.
Below is a small sample of the popular courses:-
MOOC is an open online course aimed at large-scale participation and free to access via the internet. Other than MOOC, below is the list of free online electives.
Here is the list of a few more homeschool electives for high school.
It is not an online school but provides homeschool resources free of cost. All-in-One High School offers high school courses for younger students. Easy Peasy helps families to continue homeschooling in any circumstances.
Many people join the Easy Peasy High School because it’s free and fun. They offer quality education despite being free.
You can get all information from their My EPAssignments app. Here is a link to a Spanish class.
Outschool offers more than 10,000 classes to choose from, academic to artistic. It is for every age group from 3 to 18. You can find all subjects for smaller kids, and for older kids, there is everything from AP physics to Minecraft to the piano.
The teachers in Outschool are fun-loving and engaging. Some of them are PhDs, and others are retired teachers. Most teachers offer one-off classes for $20, and You can sign up for $8 to $12. It helps you to see which teacher is the best for consistency and practical learning.
Outschool brings students from the same class together in a video chat with live teachers to learn different topics. Kids learn about video games, Harry Potter, and live lessons from teachers as a bonus.
Hillsdale College is a Christian institution that offers high-quality, traditional, classical, liberal art education and a strong core curriculum. In subjects like Constitution, philosophy, government, literature, and more for free of cost.
Below is the list of Free Hands-On Electives for High school online classes
- Free Cake Tutorials of CakeFlix
- A free career exploration website is the Crossroads Career Network. They also provide a low-cost workbook to explore future careers.
- Credits Before College offers a career exploration course (cost $39,95)
- Free Career and College Readiness Courses from EverFi
Computer Science Free Electives
- Here is the giant list of free computer science elective options
- Compuscholar offers computer courses for homeschool for just $15/month for access
Cooking Free Electives
- Onlinedegfree.com offers free cooking skills.
- Cooking.nytimes.com guides offer recipes, videos, techniques, and tips.
- BBC Food Techniques is a library of cooking skills with videos
- Study.com is a free online cooking & culinary classes.
- Skillscouter.com introduce more than 10 Free Best Online Cooking Courses and Training 2021
Free Electives for Creative Writing
Here is a list of Free Creative Writing Courses from top Universities and Educational Websites.
- National Novel Writing Month is a nonprofit organization that provides tools, structure, community, and encouragement to young writers.
- The Crafty Writer’s free online creative writing course improves the quality of writers through this course.
- John Fox advises more than 30 online writing courses to motivate you
- Classcentral.com addresses 90 Free online courses to improve your writing skills
Drivers Ed Free Electives for High School
- Children’s Hospital Philadelphia offers Teen Driving Plan.
- Driversed.com the best online driving course of low cost at $25
- Driveredtogo.com class counts high school credits. All teens can take a driver education course at low and earn a learner’s permit with a license.
Health/Nutrition Free Electives
- Drexel University offers high school lesson plans to encourage students to build healthy habits.
- AlcoholEdu prevents teens from drinking in the classroom
- Everfi.com helps to avoid the misuse of drugs
- Teen Mental Health Helps to become responsible, effective, and victorious living a healthy life
- Public Health Online nutritions courses for all classes
Personal Finance Free Electives
- Moneyprodigy.com has an extensive list of Free Personal Finance Homeschool resources
- The Money Course is designed for anyone and provides guests with the skills and tools to control their money.
- BUS030-the best Personal Finance Electives for high school
- Personal Finance by Missouri State University is available in the iTunes U app.
Photography Free Electives
- Intro to Photography Class teaches the basics of photography.
- Free Harvard University Photography Classes
- Annie Leibovitz teaches Photography for $140
- Scholarshipy–All related Scholarship & support to students that want to learn photography
- Here are the best Free Online Photography Courses
Woodworking Free Electives
- The ultimate list of free online carpentry courses is alison.com. It provides knowledge of the tools, materials, and building methods used in modern carpentry.
- Study.com tells you about the best woodworking School and Colleges in the U.S.
Above is the possible list for Free/Cheap Homeschool Electives for High School. I hope this ultimate list of free/nearly free Electives helps you to find the one that suits you the most.
If you have any suggestions or free elective resources, share them in the comment box to help other homeschool parents.